Strawberry Mousse Brownies
To celebrate VALENTINES DAY in style I made these strawberry mousse brownies wwhere I used a rich chocolate brownie base topped with a decadent strawberry mousse layer and smothered it with rich chocolate ganache.. I also used the same ingredients to make desserts in glasses 😉
I think strawberries and chocolate go perfectly together, kinda like Romeo & Juliet.. Adam & Eve.. Forest Gump & Jenny.. Superman & Louis Lane.. Shrek & Fiona.. Tarzan & Jane (you get the idea..lol) These ingredients can easily be served on their own but combined they´re simply gorgeous 🙂
To me Strawberries & Chocolate signify LOVE therefore they are a perfect combo for Valentines Day! I decorated the desserts with fresh glazed (to add that French touch..) strawberries as well as mini self made chocolates (I bought the moulds at Ikea awhile ago and was super excited to be able to use them..).
To make the Chocolate Brownie (which I can promise you taste just like a brownie should, incredible rich and chewy..) Please click on the link below to view the recipe as well as a video on how to make these!! I followed this recipe to the “T” but didn´t add the nuts at the end. This was the first time I visited Inspired Taste but after making this recipe I think I´ll go back there again..
- 200ml cream (33% +)
- 2 cups cleaned & sliced strawberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 envelope gelatin (2 & 1/2 teaspoons)
- Put your whisk, bowl and cream in the frigde for later when you whip your cream because you want it to be cold, this way it whips easier.
- Clean and cuarter the strawberries, then cook on medium heat with 2 tablespoons of water & sugar until soft.
- At this stage I used my hand held blender to liquidise but if you have a stand blender you could use it as well.
- Keep the strawberry sauce on the warm stove and add the gelatin power, continue to stir until all the gelatin has been disolved, this takes about 1 minute.
- Pour the sauce in a bowl and cover with transparent film.
- Leave to stand at room temperature until cool (mine took about 20 minutes at room temp and then I transferred it to the fridge for a further 10-15 minutes).
- It´s important to whisk the mixture every 10 minutes.
- While your mixture cools, start whipping your cream, first start out at medium low speed (on my Kitchen Aid I used speed number 3) then when bubbles form start increasing the speed gradually until medium high speed (aprox. number 6).
- Only whip until soft peaks form.
- Now with a rubber spatula fold the cream into the cooled strawberry & gelatin mixture making sure its well combined but being careful that you don´t take out the air.
- Cover once again with transparent film and leave minimum 6 hours (I left mine overnight) in the fridge to set.
- If you are going to make a mousse cake like I did, you would spoon the mousse over your brownie base before leaving it to set in the fridge. To do this use the same mold you used to bake your brownie, ensure the brownie and mold is cooled.
- Remove the brownie from the mold and insert transparent film ensuring it comes up over the sides (basically that it covers the whole mold), now insert your brownie and scoop the mousse on top, leave some room for your chocolate ganache (recipe will follow). Cover the top with a new piece of transparent film and leave minimum 6 hours or overnight.
- 75g dark chocolate (50-70%)
- 120ml cream (33%+)
- 1 tablespoon glucose syrup
- While chopping your chocolate, heat your cream in the microwave just before it starts to bubble, add the chopped chocolate and let stand for a couple of minutes.
- Stir the mixture until smooth and add your glucose syrup (this ensures your ganache has a nice shine).
- If you want your ganache to be more firm, simply increase the amount of chocolate or decrease your cream 🙂
This dessert was a hit with my whole family and because I love giving, I gave a few out to some friends, and they loved it too, some liked the brownie part more others the mousse but everyone agreed it was a heavenly combination..
To me Valentines´ Day is not only to show your love & appreciation for your significant other, it could be for anyone that you love & treasure & appreciate, for example your kids, a good friend, a parent… haven´t you heard: LOVE MAKES THE WORLD GO AROUND!!