Strawberry Themed Party
With Strawberry Sponge Cake and Strawberry Party Decorations.. a perfect theme for a little girls 1st birthday party!
In this post I´ll be sharing how to create a Strawberry Themed Party + an easy strawberry cake recipe and some strawberry themed party decorations. Such an adorable theme for a little girls (1st) birthday party!
These are the decorations I made for this party:
- A big Strawberry Banner with the birthday girls name which I hung at the front of the display.
- A small Strawberry Cake Banner, which I used on top of #3 below.
- A mini cake (3 levels) + cupcakes that I made with an easy strawberry sponge cake recipe, filled and frosted with high quality strawberry preserve + french meringue buttercream, and decorated with strawberry gummies.
- Cute straws decorated with strawberries.
- Strawberry Balloons (the sad thing is I never took any photos of these).. To make them, you need:
- Good quality, blown up (the best would be to use helium) red balloons.
- White small round stickers to stick all around the balloons (click here to see what I mean).
- Use glue to stick green crowns (like the ones I used for the big banner – see below how I made the Strawberry Banner) on the top (wide part) of the balloons to resemble strawberries.
- Tie string to the bottom part of the balloon (where you tie/fasten the balloon) so that the kids can easily run around with them.
Tip: Use paper plates, serviettes, cups and table cloth/s within the color scheme and don´t be afraid to use different patterns too. Fill glass jars with strawberry sweets / gummies.
How to make a Strawberry Themed Banner:
You will need:
- Red, bright pink and green paper plates
- Green serviettes (try to match your green paper plates) or tissue paper
- String (I used red and white bakers twine)
- Cut out printed letters (I used white) of the birthday girl´s name
- Tape (I used washi tape)
To make it:
- Draw a strawberry shaped form on the back of your red and pink paper plates (focus on the centre circle and not the outer rind). Make sure you cut out enough strawberries for each letter of the birthday girls name (or whatever message you want to display) and alternate between red and pink (see banner image above). Now cut them out.
- Now draw the top of the strawberries (the crown) on the back of the green paper plates, as well as the green serviettes/tissue paper. Cut them out too.
- Glue the crowns of the green serviettes on top of the crowns of the green paper plates. Allow to dry. This creates a 3d effect.
- Staple the green crowns on top of the strawberries, making sure you leave enough space on the strawberries for the letters you have cut out.
- Now stick your letters (once again, make sure you are alternating the colors) on your strawberries.
- Cut out a long enough string and use the stapled parts to “hang the string” from. Making sure you thread it at the back of the green part and in the front of the red/pink part (see image above).
- Use your washi tape / tape to secure it on your table/wall, etc.
To make the Strawberry Themed Party Straws, you will need:
- red and pink cardboard (you could also use the paper plate offcuts, which = frugal living!)
- green serviettes / tissue paper
- tape / washi tape
- pink and red plastic straws (you could also use printed paper straws)
To make them:
- Draw and cut out small strawberry shapes from your red and pink cardboard.
- Draw and cut out small green crowns from your green serviettes / tissue paper.
- Stick the crowns to the top of your strawberries (on the wider part).
- Use washi tape / tape to secure the straws to the centre back of your strawberries.
Tip: if you use a red strawberry, make sure to use a pink straw because the color contrast is really pretty.
I made a mini cake and topped it with a cute Strawberry Cake Banner, to make this I used:
- 2 x pink and white heart printed paper straws (you could also use wooden scewers)
- red and white bakers twine (any string will do)
- 3 x small strawberries, like the ones you made above for the straws (I only used 3 because I made a mini cake). Instead of 3 solid colors, you could also add white and red polka dot strawberries (see image below)
- washi tape / tape
To make this:
- Cut your string to the size you need and stick the 3 strawberries to the centre of the string by securing it at the back with washi tape / tape.
- Tie the sides to the straws, making sure the centre part is not hanging too low. Cut off the excess string on both sides.
Now for the strawberry sponge cake made with strawberry juice..
1. To create your own themed birthday party ideas….start off by deciding on a theme. When you have, head over to Pinterest and create a board of the things you like that matches the theme you chose (see my Strawberry Party board below that I created on Pinterest).
2. Make a list of things you need to buy for the party (ingredients, materials and equipment). Believe me, you dont want to be stuck with last minute shopping.
3. Buy all the items on your list in advance (1 week before the time if possible).
4. Make sure you start with the decor at least 5 days before the actual date to allow yourself sufficient time to make the desserts and food for the party. I normally start with this 1 – 2 days before (depending the recipes).
5. Decorate the party 2.5 – 3 hours before the time to ensure everything is ready when you guests arrive. This will allow you some time to “beautify” yourself too 😉
6. Make sure your camera´s battery is fully charged before the big day, the last thing you want is not to be able to take photos, after all the hard work you have put in!
I hope you guys enjoyed this post as much as I love creating these parties. I´m already planning my son Luca´s 5th birthday party in May and can´t wait to share it with you all 🙂
Here are some great Strawberry Party Decor ideas to makeyour party extra special!
See you guys next time! Oh and one more thing, I´ve linked this post up at the Moms Blog Party @ MomResource 🙂
Happy Party Planning!
ps. Here are a few more Strawberry recipes from my blog:
3. Strawberry and White Chocolate Cupcakes
4. Homemade Strawberry Sauce on a Croissant